With one side victory on Robin Soderling of Sweden, Rafael Nadal regained his No. 1 position in fifth French open tournament. Rafael Nadal defeated Robin Soderling in the straight set of 6-4, 6-2, 6-4 which was being played on his favorite clay of Roland Garros of Paris on Sunday.
And with this victory, he becomes the number 1 Male Tennis Player followed by Roger Federer who lost his number one ranking. Last year, he was the champion of French Open but this year he was even unable to reach the final of French Open and was beaten by Soderling in the quarter-finals.
Prior to this, 24 year old Nadal won consecutively 4 times and was Champion in the continuous years from 2005 to 2008. In the year 2009, he was beaten by Robin in the fourth round as he was concerned about pain in his knees.
If Nadal would have lost the game, Federer would have remained on the top position and would have equaled the world record of Pete Sampras to remain at number 1 position for a period of 286 weeks.
Though Soderling was defeated in these two consecutive years but still he is on sixth position as per the Top players list of Tennis world-wide.
List of Top Tennis Players (Male)
1) Rafael Nadal Parera of Spain
2) Roger Federer – Switzerland
3) Novak Djokovic from Serbia
4) Andy Murray – England
5) Nikolay Davydenko from Russia
6) Robin Soderling of Sweden
7) Andy Roddick from United States of America
8) Argentina’s Juan Martin del Potro
List of Top Female Tennis Players
1) Serena Jameka Williams of USA
2) American Vinus Jameka Williams
3) Denmark’s Caroline Wozniacki
4) Jelena Jankovic from Serbia